A Dustland Fairytale

Once upon a time...

...there was a beautiful princess named Amanda. She loved pretty dresses and sunglasses and ponies and punk rock. But she had a secret. Every night when the sun set, Amanda turned into a toothy and terrifying AMANDASAURUS REX! Miss Rex's blog is much more interesting and frequently updated than this one, so I advise you to proceed there... IF YOU DARE.

A midnight pomegranate party


One sunny September day, my friend Taz and I walked through the woods to a little farm stand I found once when I got lost. She loves going out in the woods since it's one place she doesn't have to worry about The Bitch (her roommate), but it had been really warm due to an Indian summer and she kept finding snakes on her walks. That's a bad thing if you're Taz. I went along to protect her; i.e. I walked in front of her and chased away the snakes before she could see them by yelling and flailing my arms a lot.

Soo moving on. One of my favorite things about fall is going to farm stands and little country stores to buy fresh produce, cheese, and JAMS! Jams are so yummy! Last year I discovered hot pepper jelly with cream cheese on water crackers. Mmmm nom nom nom. So, we went to the farm stand to buy jams. I had a little bag of change; the rest of my money had mysteriously disappeared. I definitely didn't spend it on concerts or anything.

You'll never guess what we found there.

POMEGRANATES!

My roommates and I had been talking for ages and ages about how most of us had never tried a pomegranate. We'd been meaning to have a pomegranate party to celebrate our birthdays, since we're all summer babies, and so I bought one. I got my jam, too - pineapple orange marmalade this year. Taz and I got freeze pops for the walk home. Hers turned her teeth blue.

I paid the cashier over $7 in change. He pretended not to hate me. Nice guy.

That night, me, Razzmatazz, Mnomanoms and The Addict cut open my pomegranate and a couple others they had bought without telling me.

They were very pretty inside. Someone suggested they would make attractive bathroom floor tiles. I was skeptical.

They sure tasted ugly. Frankly I don't understand how the pomegranate survived natural selection. It's got so little meat to it, and its such hard work to get at it. What a useless fruit! It would be better off as someone's tacky, barfy bathroom tile if you ask me!

It was dry and the seeds were hard and chewy. To my knowledge, and Razzmatazz confirmed this since she alone out of all of us had eaten a pomegranate before, the seeds are supposed to get soft and gooey when it's ripe. You shouldn't have to spit them out, ever. I think it would have been a weird experience even if the pomegranate had been properly ripe... but at least then it might have been a good weird. A yummy weird. Like hot pepper jelly and cream cheese.

In the end we resorted to mocking the pomegranates.

Delicious!

0 comments: